Inside of the Canvas learning management system, you can customize your grading scheme. If you use a grading scale, you can personalize the grading scheme so that the different percentages align with the corresponding letter grade. Canvas makes this process extremely easy to complete. Take the time early on to complete your grading scheme so that any future assignments and assessments are given the correct letter grade.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll take a look at how to adjust your course grading scheme. Now, on the left hand side, by the course navigation bar, I want to go down to Settings again and I'll click on this. Inside of here, you're going to want to make sure that you are on the far left tab where it says Course Details. If we scroll down, there is a section titled Grading Scheme. Here, I'll click to enable that, and once I do, it allows me to set my grading scheme. This is something you'll want to do, because although Canvas puts in a default grading scheme, this may not coincide with the one that you have for your course or your institution.
So, you can easily edit this grading scheme to fit yours. You can do this by clicking on the pencil icon in the upper right and then making any changes that you need, perhaps you don't have minuses and pluses, or, in our case, we don't have D as a letter grade. So, here, I can go to the far right, click off of that, and it will change the grading scale accordingly. Now, perhaps I need to change a percentage. For instance, 93% would be the cutoff for an A. When I do this, you'll notice that it's very intuitive and it now sets 93 for the other number as well.
So, you can go in here and customize it how you want. When you're done, on the bottom right, you'll want to click Save, and it will save that grading scheme. So, take the time upfront before you begin creating your course to set up your grading scheme.
- Creating a teacher account
- Creating a new course and new modules
- Adding a grading scheme
- Adding students and groups
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Communicating with conversations and announcements
- Building a class calendar
- Publishing a course