Once you have your course created and updated, you are ready to begin adding students. Inside of the Canvas platform, you are able to add students by entering their email addresses. Once students are invited into the course, they will receive a confirmation email that they must address before they are allowed access to the course.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll take a look at how to add students to our course inside of Canvas. Now, it's likely that your students have already been added to Canvas by your institution, so this may not be something that you even need to worry about. If so, however, I want you to see how easy it is to add students. First, I'm on my dashboard, and I want to click on the course that I want to add students to. In this case, that's my Biology 101 course. I'll click here, and this brings me to my homepage. Now, in the course navigation bar, I want to navigate to People, and I'll click on that. Here, you can see that I'm the only person currently enrolled in the class, but that makes sense, we haven't added any users yet. Now, in order to add people to the class, I can go in the upper-right corner here and click on + People. I'm going to click on that, and it brings up a pop-up box asking how we want to add students. You can add them here by email address, login ID, or your SIS ID. Now, in this case, I want to use email addresses, and I can click inside of this box and begin adding in an email address for a student that I want to add. In this case, I'm going to add in a student's email. Below this, I need to decide what role I want to assign to this person. Is it a student, teacher, TA, a designer, or observer? In this case, it's a student. And then, I need to decide on the section, and in this case, I only have one section, so I'll keep it here. Now, you can click down here if you want them to only be able to interact with users in their section. So, if you have multiple sections of a course, you may decide that you only want them to be able to communicate and interact with the people who are in their same section. You can go ahead and click this if that's the case. Now, when I'm done, I'm going to go here and click Next. When I do that, you see here that the following users are ready to be added to the course. I can look it over to make sure that everything is correct, and then I'll click on Add Users. Now, when I do this, you can see here that Madisyn Roope is now enrolled in the class. However, her invitation is pending. So, Madisyn will receive an email asking her to create a Canvas account and to accept this invitation, and when she does, she'll be part of the class. Now, let's take a look at how we can add more than one person at a time. So again, I'm going to click on + People, but first, I want to switch over to a document I have here with several different emails on it. So here, you can see it's a list of students, and notice the way that it is formatted. So, I have their first name, then last name, and then I have the less-than symbol, their email address, followed by a greater-than symbol, and then a comma. So, it's important to enter these in in this way so that it can be identified by the Canvas system. Now, what I want to do is to go ahead and copy these email addresses. I'll do that. I'm going to switch back over to Canvas. And inside of that same box that we entered the previous email address, I want to paste these inside of here. And you can see that it pastes like that. I want to assign everyone here the role of student, it's in my section, and can only interact with users in their section. Notice here, it says when adding multiple users, use a comma or line break to separate the users. Now, I'm going to click Next, and it brings me to a page that says, "We were unable to find matches below. "Select any that you'd like to create as new users." So, if the user isn't already in the system, if it's not someone who is enrolled in your institution or that the system recognizes, you may have to go in and customize their names. Now, since I added the comma-separated values that had names with it, I can go ahead here and click on Name, and you'll see that it adds in those names. Now, for any of these, if I wanted to add a name, for instance, here, I could change that for Adrian West and type something else in, if I didn't use those comma-separated values with the name in there, I would have to go in and type each of these in so that it had a name associated with an email address. Now, I can look these over, and then I'll go ahead and click Next. So next, it says that the following users are ready to be added to the course, and I can look them over to make sure everything is okay. And when I'm ready, I'll click on Add Users. And just like that, I have added all of those students to my course inside of Canvas. So here, you can see that they all are currently pending. The only one not pending is me because I've already accepted it and I'm inside of the account. But, for these students, they will receive that email, and when they accept it, they'll be enrolled and part of the class. Now, before a student accepts the invitation, they won't be able to see the course and they won't receive any of the communication that you send out to people in the course. So here, once Madisyn and the rest of the students accept this, they will have that pending symbol disappear and they'll be part of the course. If your admin turns on open registration, it will allow you to invite people who do not yet have a Canvas account, and it will automatically create one for them when they accept the invitation. Check with your system administrator to see if this is turned on. Now, in here, I have all of these students, and to the far-right, you'll notice this three dots icon. If I click on that, I have the ability to resend the invitation, to edit sections, edit their role, I can change user details, deactivate them, or remove them from the course. So, in this case, let's say that someone we have has transferred and is no longer in the course. Well, we can simply go over here to this three dots icon. I can click on that, and then deactivate that user. So, it says here, "Are you sure you want "to deactivate this user? "They will be unable to participate." I'm going to click OK. Now, we have all our students in here, and by default, Canvas will put the students in alphabetical order according to their last name. As you can see, it's really simple to add your students to Canvas. I want to note that students may not receive their invitation email right away. It can take up to 24 hours, so plan accordingly. You don't want to start out the beginning of a course by adding students and expecting them to have that email right away.
- Navigating the layout of Canvas
- Creating a teacher account
- Creating a new course
- Customizing your course settings
- Adding students and creating groups
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Creating rubrics
- Enhancing the feedback process with SpeedGrader
- Leveraging course management tools