Join Chris Mattia for an in-depth discussion in this video Why use Camtasia?, part of Camtasia 2019 Essential Training: The Basics.
- Camtasia is first and foremost a great application for recording, editing and sharing screen based movies. Commonly referred to as screencasts. But by creating a great tool for screencasting, TechSmith is also produced an extremely powerful yet easy to use tool for digital storytelling using audio, video and motion graphics. Camtasia is really two separate applications that are interconnected. A media recorder and a media editor. Camtasia recorder can be used to record your computer screen and microphone and throughout this course, we'll look at how to use it to record your webcam and computer's audio as well. Camtasia editor is used to refine and enhance your story then share it with the world. We'll spend a lot of time in this course going through all of the essential features of the editor. So you can tell your story to the best of your ability. The normal Camtasia workflow is to use the recorder to capture your story, then use the editor to refine it by removing mistakes, adding emphasis and incorporating additional media that you create on your computer or capture on your mobile device, then share your finished work with the world. At the end of this chapter, we'll look at a few other workflows in more detail. The obvious use of Camtasia is to produce instructional screencasts for your class, your business or your growing following on your YouTube channel. But you could also use Camtasia to record quick video notes for yourself or for others, record an interview or meeting via Skype or Zoom, create embedded video for a presentation. Practice walking through your presentation. Grade student work by narrating feedback directly to your learner. Create the next animated GIF that goes viral on the internet or documenting that new application that you've been developing. Now on my own daily work, I tend to use Camtasia primarily for two things. For creating polished video based training such as this course and all the other courses that you find here on Linkedin Learning and for making quick and dirty video notes for myself and for others. Now after watching the rest of this course and learning all of the essentials of using of Camtasia, tweet me a note "@csmattia" or send me a note here on Linkedin with your ideas for how you're using Camtasia. I'd love to see and hear what you're creating.
- Why use Camtasia?
- Recording, editing, and sharing your first screencast
- Choosing and calibrating a microphone
- Choosing the area of the screen you want to record
- Recording mobile devices
- Handling mistakes
- Editing audio and video in Camtasia
- Adding transitions and annotations
- Exporting and sharing movies
- Collaborating between Mac and Windows