Trimming or cutting your video allows you to remove errors, dead space, and more, allowing you to clean up your video and improve its quality.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at a few examples of how we can use a video editing program. Again, I'm not going to go in-depth regarding video editing in this course. If you'd like to learn more about this topic check out some of the courses by Ashley Kennedy in our library, including her making video courses as well as her introduction to video editing course. Right now I'm inside of Camtasia and I'm going to load a video that I've already recorded. I'll go here to import media. And this is a screen capture video that I recorded. It's not very long. What I'm gonna do is drag it down here onto the timeline.
And as you can see this is the video as well as the audio. And now in this video I have a couple of things right away that I need to fix. So let's listen to this. I'm going to go ahead and push play so we can preview it. (sniffs) In this video I'm going to show you how to request time off inside of Bamboo HR. (clears throat) Now the first thing you need to do is to, okay so right away we have a few problems. First of all, in the beginning, I don't get started right away.
I actually take some time where I'm not doing anything. I sniffle. Then part way through I clear my throat and you can see that right here, that audio that comes up. And let's listen to that again. (clears voice) Now I obviously don't want those in my video. So what I can do is go back over here. And I'm gonna go ahead right click and split this, select it and delete it. So now I've gotten rid of that first part where I'm not doing anything and I sniffle. It's really getting rid of some of this and making it a shorter more to the point video.
Now let's take a look from the beginning. In this video, I'm gonna show you how to request time off inside of Bamboo HR. (clears throat) Okay so the next thing I want to do is to get rid of the area where I clear my throat. I want to keep some gap because I don't want it to jump right into my next word and make it seem awkward. So I'll go ahead and split that here. I'll split that after that. And then select it and delete it. Then I'm going to drag these two pieces together.
So let's take a listen again. In this video I'm going to show you how to request time off inside of Bamboo HR. Now the first thing you need to do is to click, so as you can see I was able to real quickly get rid of that dead space in the beginning. That was trimming the video. And then I was able to cut the video in the middle and get rid of the place where I cleared my throat. So obviously the ability to trim and cut your video is very beneficial. If you have the ability to do this you'll save yourself a lot of time because you won't have to get the entire video done correctly the first time.
You'll be able to do things like, if you screw up, just pause and start over realizing that you'll be able to go edit out that little section in the end. If you do things like cough you can go and take that out in the middle. One important thing if you're going to do this is to not move your mouse or cursor around very often while you're recording. Because if you do, when you cut this area, the cursor will jump from one area to the other. Let's see here on mine. When I do that it doesn't jump because I kept my cursor in that same place. So take advantage of this.
You can always go back and edit out parts if you have access to this video editing software.
- Explain three reasons why short lengths of video within a training course are better.
- Recall the purpose for shutting off notifications during recording.
- Recognize the steps to take to get rid of computer audio.
- Define “trimming.”
- Identify the purpose of timelapsing.
- Name the most versatile video format.