- At least in terms of the basic concept…of employing autofocus,…autofocus is relatively straightforward,…but things can get very complicated very quickly,…especially with today's cameras offering a wide variety…of settings that we can adjust related to autofocus.…You can certainly set focus manually.…You can employ autofocus.…You can even choose where within the frame…you want the camera to be focusing,…but it goes beyond that.…We can actually choose how many areas we want…to be able to choose from inside of the frame…in terms of autofocus, and we can choose whether…we want to work with an individual point versus an area.…
Of course, the specific settings that are available for you…will vary depending on the camera that you're using…and the specific features and options that are available…for that camera.…So, you'll need to check in terms of what's available…and how to enable those various features,…how to change those settings.…But let's take a look at an example using this camera,…which enables me to choose how many focus points…
Photographer and educator Tim Grey explores these questions and more in this exploration of focus and autofocus. And because sharpness isn't everything, Tim also details scenarios where blur can have more impact.
- What is focus?
- Calculating depth of field
- Looking at focus limitations
- Employing autofocus one shot vs. continuous
- Using manual focus
- Setting and choosing focus points
- Controlling depth of field
- Using intentional blur and bokeh
- Finding focus while panning