Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Using flash modifiers on the camera, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Let's talk about modifiers for our Speedlite…when it's mounted to the camera.…Whenever I'm changing the light…or even using the Speedlite coming off the camera,…I'm concerned with three main qualities of light.…I'm concerned with the quality of light.…Is is hard or is it soft?…The direction of the light.…And the color of the light.…We'll talk about color in the next section,…so right now let me show you some tools…that help me to modify the quality…and the direction of the light…coming out of the Speedlite.…
Over here on the right side I have some tools…from SpinLight.…These are pretty handy and pretty familiar.…There are several manufacturers…that make a tool similar to this one.…This allows us to point the flash upward…into it and then it magnifies the size…of the light and softens it a bit, too.…We can use a diffusion dome like this one…to spread the light more softly,…and then this card is added to throw…the light forward,…making it more efficient so that we're not…losing light coming out the back of the flash…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.