Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Using dynamic autofocus points, part of Nikon D500: Tips and Techniques.
- Well, Nikon has created a fantastic way to track…moving subjects, and it's called Dynamic-area mode.…And it comes in three flavors, and I gotta tell you,…the D500, the speed at which it locks into focus…is really kind of astounding,…as I'm sure you've already figured out or you're soon to.…The three flavors that it comes in,…I'm gonna press the AF button on the side…of the camera, and then I'm gonna turn the front ring.…You'll see that there's dynamic 25 point,…dynamic 72 point and dynamic 153,…basically using all the points within the Nikon system.…
I'm gonna start at 25 point and then I'm gonna make it…clear to you exactly when and where to use…each of the three.…But before I do that, I just wanna go back into the Menu,…because in the Custom Settings Menu,…we were here earlier, under Focus point options,…there's a Dynamic AF area assist.…I wanna make sure that you turn that on,…because when you do, and you choose whatever flavor…of dynamic, be it 25, 72 or 153, you're gonna see…your priority sensor but you're also gonna see…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon offers tips, strategies, and tutorials for you to get the most out of your D500. He also calls out techniques that apply to the Nikon D5, so you can transition between both cameras.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Using dynamic autofocus points
- Understanding advanced autofocus features
- Controlling exposure
- Maximizing auto ISO
- Configuring Live View mode