Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Speedlites with third-party radio triggers, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- As marvelous as the line of sight communcation…between camera and speedlight is,…sometimes it just doesn't work that well.…Even thought I tried the reflection hacks…and using a speedlight or a transmitter…to launch the communication from the camera.…Sometimes my speedlight off-camera,…needs to be behind a wall…or behind a tree or something like that,…and it's just not possible to communicate…line of sight with the camera.…In that case, I need to use radio triggers.…If I have the ST-E3 radio transmitter from Canon,…I can use that with the 430EX III-RT…and the 600EX-RT.…
But that's a pretty costly setup.…Personally, I like several of the third party brands…like the PocketWizards, or the RadioPoppers,…or even these inexpensive radio triggers I have here.…The RadioPoppers and the PocketWizards…allow you to communicate flash output settings…with your flashes even over radio, just like you could do…with the ST-E3 transmitter.…These simple, inexpensive ones…don't allow me to change the output of the flash.…They just make it fire, so if I want to make it…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.