Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the ST-E3-RT transmitter, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- One thing that really sets the Canon system…apart is we have a radio transmitter,…the ST-E3-RT is a radio transmitter that…communicates with the RT series of flashes.…Right now the 600 EX-RT and…the 430 EX3-RT.…That means that we don't have to see…the flash in order to make it go off,…and that's really powerful.…Radio waves from this transmitter can broadcast…throughout a room or across a field,…or around corners and it just works…really well.…
Whereas using the popup flash or the ST-E2 transmitter…we have to be able to see the flash.…The flash from the camera communicates…with the speed light visually.…If it's hiding behind a corner or behind a tree,…or if it's just not…even on a sunny day…you may not be able to get really good communication…between the camera and flash.…This radio transmitter is a huge advantage.…After you slide the speed light transmitter…into the hot shoe, make sure that you engage…the locking switch and you hear it click.…
You don't want this thing falling off when you're…walking around with the camera.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.