Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the ST-E2 transmitter, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Some of our Canon cameras don't have…the capability of controlling external flashes…using the pop-up flash.…And some of our cameras…don't even have a pop-up flash.…In that case, we need to use…a flash transmitter like the ST-E2.…The ST-E2 is the original…flash transmitter for Canon…and so it doesn't have some of the newer options,…but it works really well with even the…modern Canon cameras.…We use it with the flash control in the camera…and the buttons on the back of the transmitter.…
Let me show you how it works.…First of all, once you slide it into the hot shoe…on the camera,…be sure that you use the lock,…which is on the side of the module over here.…Next, just turn it on.…It's got three options.…It's got the off, and then middle…is normal on, and then hold.…If you put it on hold,…then buttons won't do anything.…So take care that when you're making changes,…you've got it set to the center option.…Basically, all you have to do…is put the transmitter onto the hot shoe,…make sure that it's on the same channel…as your flash is.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.