Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Speedlite menus and controls, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Older models have different menu systems…that are a little bit tricky.…The newer models are better and easier to understand,…a little bit easier to navigate.…On the 430EX III and 430EX III RT,…we've got a great new menu system…and it's a lot simpler to follow and use.…There's a dial here, and then there's a button…in the middle, and each compass point on the dial…is also a button.…Plus a sub-menu and this button with a…U-shaped arrow is the back button…that takes you back to where you were before.…
Plus the ready light which we'll talk about…in another movie.…A menu you will want to know where it is…is inside this select button in the center.…Click in there, and then when you scroll,…you've got options for changing all the modes…about this camera.…Here's all the wireless settings.…Come over here, and we can change the zoom,…and it's got preset spots, and when we change the zoom,…it actually moves the flash inside of the…flash head and focuses the light tighter and wider.…
We can also change the zoom out here,…but let me press the back button.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.