Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Slowing down, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- I know you're excited to get out…and start using your speed lights…and honestly I'm excited for you.…They're so liberating,…but there's a couple of things that…will help you to maximize your experience…and the first thing is to slow down.…When we're shooting without speed lights,…we often get into rapid fire mode…and we just go out…and start clicking away…and we've got a person in front of us…that we're working with…and they're giving us their cute looks…and we're shoot, shoot, shooting.…If we do that speed lights,…there's a problem because…the exposure isn't ready yet.…
The flash may be too bright…or the ambient may be too dark.…You need to just take your time,…make a picture,…check it out,…make sure things are looking good,…make some adjustments,…and then, once you've got this exposure ready to go,…now you invite your model to start performing for you,…to start doing their smiles, to look over there…and look up here…and glance this way.…If they start doing that before you're ready,…it's a bit discouraging…because the pictures just aren't ready for them.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.