Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Powering on your Speedlite and choosing the right batteries, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- You're gonna need some batteries…to make your Speedlite work,…and it probably didn't come with any in the box.…Not all double A batteries are equal, however.…Alkaline batteries, like normal Duracell…or Energizer batteries are okay,…and I keep a pack in my bag as an emergency supply.…But you should plan to use rechargeable…nick metal hydride batteries.…Make sure they are nickel metal hydride and not NiCad.…Those are old technology and they don't last as long.…You should use nickel metal hydride rechargeables…for two reasons.…
First of all, rechargeable batteries…are less damaging to the environment…because we can use them again, and again, and again…before discarding them.…Eneloop pro is one brand of battery…and they're made by Panasonic,…and they're supposed to last the longest,…they have a long lifetime,…which means you can recharge them…over, and over, and over,…more than other rechargeable batteries.…Also, they last longer on the shelf.…Most rechargeable batteries slowly discharge…when they're not being used.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.