Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Positioning the flash off camera, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Now we're ready to start positioning our lights,…and I just wanted to show you…a simple setup for making a portrait.…I'm going to move this light stand.…Whenever you're using a light stand,…it's best to lower everything before you move it.…Also, whenever you lower things,…grab the section above the knob that you lower…so that you're certain nothing will drop.…If it drops down it could break…and it can also knock you in the head and things.…I'm speaking from experience on that.…
So, now when it's low, I can scoot it over…and put it in the right place.…A simple way to go is to put the light…about 45 degrees off of Tina's nose.…So, Tina's facing straight this way.…I'll come about 45 degrees over here…and position the light.…I also want it shining slightly downward…from above like this and that's a pretty good spot to start.…Of course, before I put the lights up there,…the light up there,…I've got it already set on the right channel.…
I'm on channel one,…and I like my closer light, the front light, to be group A.…And then I use group B for my background light.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.