Some smaller, essential items that you need in your grip kit are clamps. There will be many times when you will want to modify a light or set up a reflector. What types of clamps are you looking for? In this movie, author Abba Shapiro demonstrates the importance of including platypus clamps in your grip kit.
- The platypus or quacker clamp or duckbill is the perfect clamp for positioning light, flat modifiers, such as foam core, reflectors or bead board. Now, people will often try to use pony clamps on large, flat surfaces, and it doesn't usually work that well. What they'll do is they'll take a reflector, and they'll try to use a pony clamp to mount it somewhere, and it tends to get floppy, and what they end up doing is using a lot of pony clamps, and it still may not get the job done.
The beautiful thing about the platypus is a single clamp ca do exactly what you need. Because it has such a large surface area and the ability to tighten down to very small or a little bit thicker of a width, you can go ahead, mount your reflector or your foam core, and you also can mount it directly to a C-stand. Now we have a much more secure platform to hold our reflector, and it won't be flopping around during our shoot.
- What is a grip kit?
- Organizing and transporting your grip gear
- Using stands and plates
- Mounting equipment with clamps
- Controlling and shaping light
- Powering your shoots
- Staying safe: important safety gear
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Do You Need Grip Gear?
What is a grip kit?1m 3s
2. Stands and Plates
4. Controlling and Shaping Light
6. Safety Equipment and Essential Items
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.