Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Off-camera flash demo, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Now I'd like to show you how I work during a shoot,…and so we've moved the camera back a little bit…so that you can see everything in this studio…where I'm working.…I've also switched to the ST-E3-RT…transmitter so that I can control the power…of the flashes, but also turn them on and off…because that's one of the steps I'm gonna show you,…that being able to turn off the flash is really important…as we build the light in the picture.…If I was using the line of sight transmitters,…either the pop up flash, the ST-E2, or a commander flash…on the camera, then I would just walk over…and disable this flash for a moment while I build…the light up in the picture.…
Let's look at the settings I'm working with on the camera.…We're gonna start at about 1/20th of a second…and just see how things sit.…I'll also disable all the flashes by turning off…the transmitter.…(shutter click)…Here's what we've got.…That's looking pretty good.…I've got some glow from the table lamp…and the studio lights aren't making too much effect…on my picture.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.