Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Maximizing auto ISO, part of Nikon D500: Tips and Techniques.
- We're gonna talk about one of my favorite…and most powerful Nikon features,…and that's Auto-I-S-O, but before we talk about Auto-I-S-O,…I just want to talk a little bit about I-S-O itself.…On the D-500, they've moved the I-S-O button…a little bit closer here, because I think photographers…wanted easier access to it.…When I press and hold it,…you can see that my I-S-O's at 100.…That's the lowest number and on your Nikon camera,…the lowest number I-S-O is always the sweet spot.…
If you move down, you'll see that there's a Lo setting.…Lo one is the equivalent of I-S-O 50.…The Nikon engineers had not given it a number…because there's a bit of a compromise in quality.…You're always gonna get the greatest dynamic range,…it's the best possible quality at the lowest number.…But as you start to move up here in I-S-O,…you can see that this Nikon D-500…goes up to 51,200,…which is amazing.…The high I-S-O quality on this DX camera…is akin to the full frame, and it's always been said,…at least in theory, that the larger the sensor,…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon offers tips, strategies, and tutorials for you to get the most out of your D500. He also calls out techniques that apply to the Nikon D5, so you can transition between both cameras.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Using dynamic autofocus points
- Understanding advanced autofocus features
- Controlling exposure
- Maximizing auto ISO
- Configuring Live View mode