Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Looking at some less common autofocus settings, part of Nikon D500: Tips and Techniques.
- View Offline
- There are two other autoarea focus systems…that I wanted to talk briefly about.…And they're two that I'm not using all that much,…and that is the 3D dynamic and autoarea.…So again, I'm gonna come in and I'm gonna go,…you can see, in the viewfinder you'll see 3D…and then there's autoarea,…it will let you know what it is.…Let's start with 3D.…You know the D500 and it's new autofocus system…literally uses twice as many pixels to determine,…in the metering system, and the 3D system uses…a complex algorithm of contrast,…distance, light and color,…to determine what the moving subject is and lock into it.…
It basically works, you still have your priority sensors,…so again, as a back button auto focuser,…you find your target,…you press the AF on button.…But once you sort of locked in…and hold the button, you're gonna see,…that instead of you having to follow the target,…the target will magically be followed…by your focus points within the viewfinder.…And that is pretty amazing technology.…And it works, and it works really really well.…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon offers tips, strategies, and tutorials for you to get the most out of your D500. He also calls out techniques that apply to the Nikon D5, so you can transition between both cameras.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Using dynamic autofocus points
- Understanding advanced autofocus features
- Controlling exposure
- Maximizing auto ISO
- Configuring Live View mode