Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Line-of-sight discussion, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- I'm so excited for this section.…This is where we're going to start using the flash…off camera and really start making some great light.…The first thing you need to know about…using the flash off the camera, though,…is that the camera's got to be able to communicate…with the flash.…If you're using the ST-E3 radio transmitter, then you…can just use it.…It doesn't have to be within view of each other.…The radio waves send out and they work around corners,…and they work in bright sunlight, and everything.…
But for the ST-E2 transmitter, or if you're using…a speed light as a commander module,…or if you're using the pop-up flash on your camera…to control this light, this light has to communicate…directly with the sensor that's under this red shield.…That's called line-of-sight communication.…You need to make sure that this isn't hiding…behind a corner or behind a tree.…Also make sure that you haven't positioned it facing…into the modifier that you're working with.…
So in this case, I would turn it back towards the camera…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.