- There's this wonderful tool in your camera…called Commander Mode, and it allows us…to use the camera's pop-up flash to control our speed…lights even when they're not connected to the camera,…so that we can create really flattering direction…and quality of light using the speed lights…and placing the light anywhere in our picture…to light up our subjects in the most flattering ways.…I love this tool.…It has really changed my life, literally…changed my life, because it allowed me to create…really fun and engaging photographs with people…that later allowed me to quit my job…and become a full time photographer,…so I'm really excited to share with you…all the benefits and how to use Commander Mode.…
Let me show you how to find it in your camera…and also how to create a shortcut so that…it's right at your fingertips any time you want to use it.…To access the Commander Mode settings, go to your Menu,…and then right on the first menu tab, right under…the camera and the first tab of the camera menu,…come down to Flash control.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.