Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video How to control your Speedlite on your camera's LCD, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Some Canon Speedlites don't have any controls…on the back of the flash themselves.…Fortunately, we can control all Speedlites…from the camera menu.…I'll show you how that works now,…and also how to put these controls…in a really handy custom menu.…The engineers at Canon understand…that flash control is really important.…So, they put it under the first tab,…the camera menu,…and then the first tab inside that menu.…Right down here at the bottom is flash control.…They want it to be handy for us.…Press the set button to get in there.…
And then the very first setting is kind of useful.…It says, flash firing,…and then, enable.…Press set to enter that…and then you can choose between enable and disable.…Enable is normal flash firing function for the Speedlite.…When you switch it to disable, however,…the flash won't fire,…but the camera will use the flash's autofocus assist light.…And we talked about how that is really powerful…for helping the camera to focus in the dark.…
That means you can still create moody,…interesting pictures using low light…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.