Join Joseph "PhotoJoseph" Linaschke for an in-depth discussion in this video Focus peaking, part of Photography 101.
- For all the great auto-focus capabilities that today's…cameras have, sometimes you just want to go manual-focus.…Maybe that's because the focus situation is…just too complicated and the camera can't get it,…or maybe it's just a choice.…You just prefer to focus manually.…Either way, the function is always gonna be there…on your DSLR or mirrorless camera.…When it comes to mirrorless cameras though,…there is an added bonus.…We have something called focus peaking…that allows us to see what's in focus…by seeing little sparkles show up on the screen…indicating exactly where focus has been found.…So, this is how it works.…
You'll need to dig into your camera settings…and I can't show you where it is on your camera,…but I'll show you where it is on mine…and this is basically what you're gonna be looking for…on pretty much any mirrorless camera today.…So, on my camera, I go into the menu settings…and I look for something called Peaking.…You can see it's currently off.…I'll go ahead and turn that on.…And that's pretty much all there is to it.…
- Adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Controlling autofocus
- Using buttons to change focus, metering, and shooting modes
- Carrying a camera like a pro
- Stabilizing the camera
- Working with flash
- Thinking creatively and changing your point of view
- Buying new gear
Skill Level Beginner
1. Carry and Hold A Camera Like a Pro
2. Stabilize the Camera
3. P Is Not for Perfect
4. Settings in the Real World
5. Push Your Buttons
6. Control Your Auto Focus
Focus peaking1m 21s
8. Change Your Point of View
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.