Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Demonstration: Using modifiers on the camera, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- I showed you several modifiers…we can use to alter the shape and…direction of light earlier.…Let me show you how I'd use the…MagMod system to shape the light…coming out of the camera when the speed…light is attached to it.…We'll start by putting the grip right on the top here.…And it just straps on in place,…and then the magnets hold things right on.…So, we'll start with the sphere,…and we already bounced the light upward.…The sphere is going to soften that light going upward…and also throw some forward toward our subject's face.…
And let's start right where we are…with the same settings.…We'll make a shot,…and yeah, that's throwing forth…some of the light into her face,…and so we can see that because it's…also giving us a little bit of shadow…on the background, but compared to the…earlier shadow, this shadow is much softer.…There's not a definite edge where…the shadow starts and stops.…That's really good because in most circumstances,…that'll help the shadow to completely disappear.…It'll be really inobtrusive,…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.