Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Demonstration: Using first-curtain, second-curtain, and high-speed sync, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Earlier we talked about first- and second-curtain sync.…Let me now show you what they do.…And we'll start by doing a motion demonstration…with first-curtain, and then…we'll switch it to second-curtain sync,…and then I'll also show you the effects of high-speed sync.…On the camera, I've chosen settings…that are allowing me to demonstrate motion.…So my shutter speed is just 1/25 of a second,…which is pretty slow.…And then 5.6 and I-S-O 100 are to kind of darken…the ambient light here a little bit…so that I can show you this demonstration.…
What we're going to do is make sure that the flash…is set to first-curtain sync.…So we'll go with external flash setting…and then right here we're on first-curtain synchronization.…And now, I'm going to move the camera…because this model doesn't move a whole lot.…So I'm going to move the camera to show the motion…and what this is going to do is,…because the flash fires at the beginning of the exposure,…she'll be lit up at the beginning…and then blurred through it.…
And then when we switch to second-curtain sync,…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.