- Now I'm going to show you some great techniques…for using your speedlight mounted to the camera.…We've changed up the studio so that we are…ready to do some demonstrations.…This card back here is what I'm going to use…as a wall on the side for me…and we've also got our lovely assistant Tina…to stand in and be a model for some of our pictures.…When we make pictures using the speedlight on the camera,…all we really have to do is attach the speedlight…and we're ready to roll.…
Be sure that you lock the speedlight in place…when you put it on the camera.…Now it's in E-TTL mode on the flash…and I'm in manual mode on the camera…so that I can control some of the things…about this studio environment.…I've set my shutter speed to 1/250 of a second,…That's the maximum shutter sync speed for this camera,…and I'm at F4…and the reason I'm doing that is so that…the picture is pretty much black…without any influence from the speedlight.…
We see the lamp is showing up just a little bit…in the picture, but all the light in the picture…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.