Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling power and extending battery life, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Your speed lights are really powerful,…but they're not all-powerful.…The batteries will wear out, they'll just drain…as you're using it, and you'll have to change batteries.…And that's the most frustrating thing,…to be in the middle of a shoot,…and in the middle of some mood,…and the batteries start slowing down.…It'll show up because the flash…takes longer and longer to recharge between uses.…There's a couple of things you can do in the camera…to extend your battery life, though.…First of all, use your aperture.…
If you're shooting at something like F11, or F8.0,…but you can get away with a much wider aperture,…like F5.6, go ahead and open that up.…And by opening the aperture in the lens,…you're letting in more light…and the flash has to produce less light.…That means the batteries will last longer;…it takes less power to make less light.…By opening from F11 to F8, you're cutting…the power required in half.…By opening again to F5.6, you're reducing it by 1/4.…
It's really a powerful way to work.…And so, open up the aperture and that…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.