Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling the color of light, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- In a previous movie, I mentioned that one of the most…important qualities of light is color.…And that is so true with photography.…We need lights to be the right color.…And sometimes the right color is not natural,…and other times, the right color…is matching natural and available light.…And our speedlights are a particularly white light.…They're even a little bit blue…when it just comes straight out of it.…In your camera, you've got a white balance setting…just for flashes.…
This white balance setting adds a tiny bit of orange…to the whole picture in order to make the light…coming out of your flash look more natural.…Now, one of the troubles we have when we use flashes…is that the flash light doesn't match the light…that's around us.…Unless you're photographing outdoors at high noon,…there aren't a lot of lights that are the same color…as your speedlight.…It's really a lot like the sun at high noon on a sunny day.…The trouble with that is that then in our photographs,…we have too many colors of light.…
I've got some distinct pictures in my mind,…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.