Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling ambient light, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- As we work with speedlights,…one of the most important parts of the process…is controlling ambient light.…Ambient light just means…everything that's not coming out of your speedlights,…so it's the light that's already on in a room,…it's the table lamp in a room,…or it's the light coming in a window,…or it's daylight when you're working outside.…Ambient is all the light that isn't your speedlight.…It's really easy to control ambient light…by using shutter speed.…Here's a little example.…
(camera button)…If I make a picture of our model here,…we'll see that it's quite bright,…and that's the ambient light.…If I were to add speedlights to this, my flashes,…it would just become brighter,…and things would be blown out,…so I need to reduce the ambient light,…so that I can add my speedlights as the main light,…as the primary light source.…So to do that, we just increase the shutter speed,…right up to the flash sync speed, is no problem.…(camera button)…And now, the picture is much darker.…
In this example, I've already turned the shutter speed…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.