Join Justin Reznick for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring a touchless shutter, part of Sony Alpha a7: Tips and Techniques.
- Now, Sony has done something very interesting with their line of cameras in that they've started an app store, and this makes a lot of sense, to have extra functionality added via apps, just like you would on your smart phone. Now, right now, it's not open source, so not third-party, there are no third-party companies making apps, but Sony themselves are slowly producing applications that you can download and add functionality to your camera. So, I want to demonstrate a couple for you, and we're gonna start with something that's in beta and it's really cool, so I'm excited to share this.
So in order to get to it, we're going to go to our application list, so if we go to menu, and it's the square with kind of two hollowed out squares and two solid ones on each corner, and it only has one page, it's Application List and Introduction. We're gonna hit the standard button for Application, and we can see I've got a couple on here, I've got Bracket Pro, Touchless Shutter, Timelapse, and Smart Remote Control. I want to show you, to start, Touchless Shutter, this is really cool.
So I'm going to hit, enter there, and the application's going to start, and what I'm going to do here, is, I'm going to wave my hand in front of the eyepiece, and watch what happens, it takes an image. That's really interesting functionality because essentially, it's acting as a remote. So I've got this remote, it's an extra piece of equipment, it's an extra expense, it's got this wire, these things are happening, and the ability to just go like this to take a picture, this is really interesting, okay? To explore it a little bit further, I'm going to hold down the menu key, and you'll notice that there's five pages, and what I actually have to do is go through and almost treat it like I'm setting up the camera, so I'm going to do Quality Raw, Aspect Ratio, so you need to make sure these settings are right because it's not going to just remember what you had before, so it's very important to go through, make sure everything's looking good.
Alright, so the most important things, I'm shooting raw, single shooting, this looks great, alright, let's go ahead and do that one more time, it's really fun to do, just like so. So that's Touchless Shutter, it's in beta currently, and it's a free download on the Sony application store.
- Using the viewfinder
- Adjusting focus
- Setting back-button autofocus
- Customizing buttons and menus
- Configuring a touchless shutter
- Using the Bracket Pro and Smart Remote Control apps
- Using adapters and accessories with the Sony Alpha a7