Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring back button autofocus on the D500, part of Nikon D500: Tips and Techniques.
- View Offline
- If you've seen any of my Nikon Performance Tuning courses…in the library, you know that I'm this evangelist…for back button autofocus.…You know, back button autofocus, since I switched back…in the film days with the Nikon F5 and never looked back,…is just a very fast, intuitive way to autofocus…with these cameras.…It sort of takes the camera out of the equation.…It feels kind of natural, and you can focus on what it is…that you're trying to say photographically.…So I can't wait for you to try it, if you haven't already.…
With the Nikon D500, Nikon has upped the ante for…back button autofocusers, because now, there's not just one…AF-ON button, but there's another AF-ON button…that can be configured for AF-ON.…And it's very exciting for back button autofocusers,…and I can't wait to tell you about it in another movie.…Really, to set this thing up,…you have to disengage focus from the shutter button.…By default, the AF-ON button will work.…
It will initiate autofocus, but so does the shutter button.…So we need to disengage here to make that happen,…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Steve Simon offers tips, strategies, and tutorials for you to get the most out of your D500. He also calls out techniques that apply to the Nikon D5, so you can transition between both cameras.
- Configuring back button autofocus
- Using dynamic autofocus points
- Understanding advanced autofocus features
- Controlling exposure
- Maximizing auto ISO
- Configuring Live View mode