When you set up your lights, you may find yourself wanting to control and shape how the light falls on your set. There is a plethora of grip gear that can help you do just that. What do you need in your grip kit that can help direct your light? Author Abba Shapiro demonstrates the importance of including Cinefoil, or black wrap, in your grip kit.
- View Offline
- Cinefoil, often referred to at black wrap,…is another main-stay of the Grip Kit.…It's a bendable, non-reflective, aluminum material.…Think of it as, like, a super-thick black aluminum foil…that virtually soaks up light.…What I love about this stuff is it's very flexible,…and that I can bend it into whatever shapes I want.…So, if I wanted to make a makeshift snoot,…I could simply wrap it around my light,…and secure it with a piece of Gaffers Tape.…If I have a light leak, I could use it…to wrap it around the light leak.…
I can create a little bit of a flag.…Really, the number of uses for Cinefoil…is only limited by the problems you have…that you need solutions for.…As a matter of fact, one of the things…that I like to use Cinefoil for is to create these cookies.…This is simply a piece of foamcore…with some Cinefoil on the inside…where we cut some holes in it.…Shine a light through that onto the back wall…and now you have some break-ups,…so you don't have this solid, boring wall.…Very useful tool.…
The nice thing about this stuff,…
- What is a grip kit?
- Organizing and transporting your grip gear
- Using stands and plates
- Mounting equipment with clamps
- Controlling and shaping light
- Powering your shoots
- Staying safe: important safety gear
Skill Level Intermediate
Shooting on the Road, from Gear to Workflowwith Ben Long3h 8m Intermediate
1. Why Do You Need Grip Gear?
What is a grip kit?1m 3s
2. Stands and Plates
4. Controlling and Shaping Light
6. Safety Equipment and Essential Items
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.