Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Cheating the line of sight on your flash, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- I can't even tell you how cool I think it is…that the camera's pop-up flash can control…my speed lights off camera.…That line of sight coordination is just so cool.…However, sometimes it fails, so I've got two ways…to help you beat that line of sight communication…and still use it, even though the flashes…aren't right in front of the camera,…because that's the issue:…if the flashes are to my side,…or even behind me, this pop-up flash…doesn't communicate forward that way.…
The first system you can use is just a white card,…a white piece of paper, or a white business card,…and you can use it in front of the pop-up flash…to redirect the angle of light.…You can put it to the sides, you can put it up behind you…and just really redirect that pop-up flash…so that it still communicates with your speed lights.…The second way you can conquer the line of sight problem…is by using a speed light as the commander module,…and you can mount this on top of the camera…and then twist it and turn it to wherever direction…your speed lights are off camera.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.