- Now I'll show you how I configure the camera settings…to use the pop-up flash as the commander,…and all the different options we have…within the commander mode menu.…Remember, I've set up my flash control…to be under the My Menu tab,…so I can access it really quickly.…Now, right here, first of all, we want flash firing,…and it's just gotta be enabled.…If we disable it, then the pop-up flash will not fire,…and it will not control the external flash lights,…the off-camera flashes.…
Next on the list is the E-TTL II metering mode.…You've got the option between evaluative and average.…Just leave it on evaluative.…You can study the differences between those…if you want to, but I think you'll have great success…just using evaluative all the time.…Now, come on down to Flash sync. speed in AV mode.…Just leave this one on auto, as well,…and then back down to the built-in flash settings.…The two external flash function settings…won't give us any options because we don't have…an external flash attached to the camera.…
So we'll deal just with the built-in…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.