Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing the Speedlite mode and brightness, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- Let me show you how to simply change the mode…that your speedlight is shooting in, and then…I'll show you how to adjust the brightness…in both ETTL and Manual modes.…To start with on the 430EX III and 430EX III-RT,…just press the Mode button at the bottom of the dial.…Press that and then you can switch between ETTL…and Manual really simply.…Then press the center button to select it.…For the 600EX-RT and 600EX,…you just press the Mode button…right here, and it cycles between…all the functions.…
There's more functions here beyond ETTL and Manual.…For instance, here's the Multi Mode,…which is a stoboscopic setting that gives you…multiple flashes during a single exposure.…That can be pretty cool for sports and showing…movement, but it's beyond the scope of this class.…Also, there's the External Metering Automatic,…and External Metering Manual modes…that work with the 1DX for some specific applications.…Again, those are beyond the scope of this course.…
So we'll leave in ETTL for now.…The 580EX II is similar to the 430EX II.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.