- There are several factors that affect depth of field…for the scene that you're photographing,…and it can be very helpful to gain a deep knowledge,…or at least some knowledge,…of those factors and how they interplay…and what the effect on your scene actually is.…In other words, it can be very helpful to actually…calculate the depth of field for a given setup.…Using a specific lens, focusing at a particular distance…with a given aperture setting for that lens.…If you calculate the depth of field,…that's going to give you a couple of advantages.…Number one, you can actually make decisions,…conscious decisions, about how you're…establishing depth of field for the shot.…
In addition, you can actually start to better understand…the inner relationship of the various factors…that impact depth of field.…The lens focal length, the distance at which…you're focusing, and the aperture setting for the lens.…There are a variety of ways that you can…calculate depth of field.…I use a smart phone app.…It makes it much easier, especially when I'm out…
Photographer and educator Tim Grey explores these questions and more in this exploration of focus and autofocus. And because sharpness isn't everything, Tim also details scenarios where blur can have more impact.
- What is focus?
- Calculating depth of field
- Looking at focus limitations
- Employing autofocus one shot vs. continuous
- Using manual focus
- Setting and choosing focus points
- Controlling depth of field
- Using intentional blur and bokeh
- Finding focus while panning