When you set up your lights, you may find yourself wanting to control and shape how the light falls on your set. There is a plethora of grip gear that can help you do just that. What do you need in your grip kit that can help direct your light? Author Abba Shapiro demonstrates the importance of including flag frames in your grip kit.
- There's a lot of times that you…need a really large diffuser or flag…or reflector, and in this case,…there's a number of great solutions…that are frames that are easy to assemble.…They're either made of plastic or metal,…and then I can hang a variety of materials on them.…In this case, I have a diffusion materials,…and this is wonderful because I can just…use this to create a very large, soft light source.…But I also have other materials that I can hang,…and it's very similar to the five in one reflectors.…
I can use black.…I have a piece that's black on one side,…silver on the other.…So I can create negative fill if I…have too much reflection on the person…or if I need a lot of light hitting them,…I have the silver.…And in addition to that, I also have gold…which will warm up the light…which is nice if I'm trying to match…some light from outside or give the person…a little bit of color, a little bit of tan.…And then I have a simple white…when I don't want something as harsh…as the silver, and all of these…can just snap right onto my frame.…
- What is a grip kit?
- Organizing and transporting your grip gear
- Using stands and plates
- Mounting equipment with clamps
- Controlling and shaping light
- Powering your shoots
- Staying safe: important safety gear
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Do You Need Grip Gear?
What is a grip kit?1m 3s
2. Stands and Plates
4. Controlling and Shaping Light
6. Safety Equipment and Essential Items
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.