Join Levi Sim for an in-depth discussion in this video Balancing the color of your Speedlites, part of Flash Photography: Canon Speedlites.
- We have an interesting situation here…that's quite common…and what that is is that we've got…a different color of light from our speed light.…I mentioned before that speed lights…are very similar to these color of sunlight at high noon.…Everything else is pretty much a different color…so this table lamp is very orange…compared to the white light coming out of our…speed light.…There's nothing I can do to change the color…of that lamp…but when I mix the speed lights…with various colors of light,…it becomes kind of muddy looking…and the people don't look very healthy…and it's less flattering when we photograph…them in mixed light.…
So it's best to make our cameras match…the light in the room.…So supposing that the table lamp is our ambient light,…I've added orange gels to these speed lights…we're using off camera.…You can see on the back light,…I've already attached the gel…and it's a CTO.…It's color temperature orange…and it's a full cut.…That means it's the full orange color…that matches the orange light of the table lamps.…
You'll also find out how to set up your Canon camera itself to make the most of the speedlight—one of the most liberating photography tools you can buy. Levi Sim helps you master the controls, including the camera and flash modes, flash modifiers, and accessories, and creative options offered by a speedlight: soft light, hard light, and bounced light. By the end of this course, you'll be able to make great light in any situation with your speedlight. If you don't have one yet, you'll understand just what model is best for your needs and what features you'll use the most.
- Why use a speedlight?
- Powering a speedlight
- Choosing the right camera mode
- Choosing the right flash modes
- Using flash modifiers
- Creating soft and hard light
- Accessing Commander mode
- Positioning the flash off camera
- Using an iTTL extension cord
- Extending battery life
- Controlling ambient light
- Using speedlights with third-party radio triggers
Skill Level Intermediate
1. An Overview of Speedlites
2. Quick Start
Speedlite menus and controls4m 40s
3. Taking Control of a Speedlite
4. Controlling and Shaping the Light
5. The Camera as Commander
6. Using Off-Camera Flash
7. Shooting with Speedlites and Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.