Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video What is Camera Raw?, part of Photoshop CC for Photographers: Camera Raw 9.
- So, what is ADOBE CAMERA RAW? Well, let's begin to answer that question in this movie. For starters, you can think of ADOBE CAMERA RAW as a PLUGIN, or a PROCESSING ENGINE, which you can access in Photoshop, which gives you the ability to CORRECT, IMPROVE, and ENHANCE your photographs. What are the advantages of working with ADOBE CAMERA RAW? It gives you the ability to work quickly, to achieve high QUALITY results, and to do so in a FLEXIBLE, or a non-destructive way.
And one of the important things to understand about ADOBE CAMERA RAW, is that it's different than RAW CAPTURE. RAW CAPTURE is something that we do, or something that has to do with our CAMERAS. RAW PROCESSING is something that takes place inside of Photoshop. First let me talk about RAW CAPTURE for just a moment here. RAW CAPTURE has to do with our CAMERA settings. Now we can set up our CAMERA in order to CAPTURE JPEGs, and if we do that, those Files will go through a lot of processing inside of the CAMERA.
We can also set up our CAMERAS in order to CAPTURE RAW Files. These Files come straight from the Sensor. If your CAMERA has that ability, you always wanna choose RAW, because it gives you more options, because you have the full RAW File to work with. Now when it comes to working in ADOBE CAMERA RAW, we can use ADOBE CAMERA RAW with JPEG Files, TIFF, RAW Files, it doesn't matter. The important thing here is to note that, RAW CAPTURE has to do with what we do on our CAMERAS, RAW PROCESSING, that has to do with what we do inside of Photoshop.
All right, well how does RAW PROCESSING actually work? Well all that you need to do is to open up an image in ADOBE CAMERA RAW, and then modify your settings. When you do that, behind the scenes, it'll create what's called a sidecar XMP file. You don't really need to worry about that now, but just know that it's PROCESSING this image, so that we can then display the photograph in different ways. Perhaps we wanna convert it to black and white, we can use the settings in order to do that. Or maybe we decide to get a little be creative, and add this kind of reddish tint to the photograph, and then we decide, you know what, that doesn't look very good at all.
Well we can always go back to the way that the image was PROCESSED previously. In other words, we can work quickly, and we can work with a lot of flexibility as well. All right, to summarize, what is ADOBE CAMERA RAW? Well you can begin to think of it as a PLUGIN, or as a PROCESSING ENGINE, which we can access inside of Photoshop, which gives us the ability in order to CORRECT, IMPROVE, and ENHANCE our photographs.
- Opening images in Camera Raw
- Improving under- and overexposure
- Recovering shadow and highlight detail
- Correcting white balance
- Improving clarity, vibrance, and saturation
- Processing multiple images at once
- Cropping and recomposing
- Making strong black-and-white images
- Creating panoramas and HDR images
- Reducing unwanted noise
- Sharpening portraits