Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring next steps, part of Exploring Photography: Shooting in Raw Mode.
- I probably should have mentioned this…at the beginning of this course,…but you don't actually have to know…any of the things we've covered here…to be an effective raw shooter.…With modern workflow tools, like Lightroom…and Camera Raw, you can access…and work on your RAW files just as you do JPEGs.…So, if there's something in here that has confused you,…don't stress out about it.…It's not going to impact your ability…to be a good raw shooter.…My hope is that this low-level understanding…will help you puzzle out your own answers…when you get confused by why a JPEG…from your camera looks different from a RAW,…or why the white balance control seems…to function directly on JPEGs and RAWs.…
And as I mentioned before, when you move…to more complex workflows…and editing operations such as smart objects,…then you really do need to know what RAW conversion is…and where it's happening in your workflow.…And of course, there's nothing wrong…with simply being curious with how things work…and just think about the cocktail party…
In this course, photographer and educator Ben Long shines a light on what it means to shoot in raw—and what it doesn't. Learn the benefits of shooting in raw, learn when your camera's RAW+JPEG mode makes more sense, and get insights into why some people prefer certain raw conversion software over others.
- Does your camera support raw?
- Understanding how a sensor works
- Correcting and compressing JPEGs in camera
- Customizing JPEG compression
- Understanding raw conversion
- Working with raw files in popular photo-editing software
- Shooting raw, JPEG, or both
- Reprocessing old raw images
- Choosing a camera