Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring how JPEG compression works, part of Exploring Photography: Shooting in Raw Mode.
- Here's my favorite jpeg compression story.…I am that nerdy, I have a favorite jpeg compression story.…You can just imagine holidays around my house…when we all gather around the fire…and swap stories of image compression.…Anyway, this is a good story, bear with me.…In April of 1991, the Galileo space probe…was making its way to the main asteroid belt…between Mars and Jupiter.…Now, Galileo was designed to hang out in the Jupiter system…for a while and do all sorts of science around the…giant planet and its moons.…
So, it was packed with cameras and spectrometers…and ion counters and garage door openers…and all sorts of high tech stuff.…Unfortunately on this particular day…Galileo, along with dozens of NASA engineers…were having a really bad time.…Due to a mechanical failure, the probe's main antenna…was stuck and so it couldn't deploy.…Galileo had a secondary antenna,…but whereas the main antenna could transmit…one high res image per minute, the secondary antenna…could only manage to send back one high res image per month.…
In this course, photographer and educator Ben Long shines a light on what it means to shoot in raw—and what it doesn't. Learn the benefits of shooting in raw, learn when your camera's RAW+JPEG mode makes more sense, and get insights into why some people prefer certain raw conversion software over others.
- Does your camera support raw?
- Understanding how a sensor works
- Correcting and compressing JPEGs in camera
- Customizing JPEG compression
- Understanding raw conversion
- Working with raw files in popular photo-editing software
- Shooting raw, JPEG, or both
- Reprocessing old raw images
- Choosing a camera