Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a camera, part of Learn Photography: Shooting in Raw Mode.
- There are a lot of factors that go into…the decision to buy a particular camera.…When camera shopping, you'll consider everything from…cost to features to compatibility with specific lenses.…A complete buyer's guide to choosing a camera…is way beyond the scope of this course,…but I wanted to cover a few camera choice decisions…that might be informed by your newfound…understanding of image sensors and raw shooting.…For years, camera vendors engaged in…something of megapixel arms race.…When cameras had single megapixel sensors,…this rush to cram more pixels into a camera…was very welcome, but there is a point of…diminishing returns in image quality as you…increase pixel density on an image sensor.…
As you've seen, an image sensor works by measuring…the light that strikes the millions of tiny photosites…on the surface of the sensor.…A photosite has a physical size though, and bigger sites…have an easier time gathering and measuring light…than do smaller sites, and what I mean by easier…is that their signal-to-noise ratio is better.…
In this course, photographer and educator Ben Long shines a light on what it means to shoot in raw—and what it doesn't. Learn the benefits of shooting in raw, learn when your camera's RAW+JPEG mode makes more sense, and get insights into why some people prefer certain raw conversion software over others.
- Does your camera support raw?
- Understanding how a sensor works
- Correcting and compressing JPEGs in camera
- Customizing JPEG compression
- Understanding raw conversion
- Working with raw files in popular photo-editing software
- Shooting raw, JPEG, or both
- Reprocessing old raw images
- Choosing a camera