Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with fonts, part of Learning CSS.
- In this chapter I want to spend some time…going over some of the common CSS concepts…that you'll likely to encounter when using stylesheets.…While the main focus will be to provide you…with a broad overview of topics,…we will spend some time exploring syntax…and best practices to use when authoring styles.…I want to start by focusing on fonts.…Controlling typography is often the first thing…that designers learn to do when using CSS,…and for good reason.…Typography is so important to your design…and what you're trying to communicate…that it's just a natural starting point.…
Remember, if you don't specify a font…and format your text, your content will receive…the browser's default styling.…I highly doubt that that's the look…that you're going for.…The first thing you'll need to decide…when choosing a font for your site…is whether you want to use system fonts…or web fonts.…Let's take a moment to discuss the differences…between the two.…Now in the past, designers have been limited…to using a small set of fonts that are preinstalled…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 29s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.