Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen for an in-depth discussion in this video When can we start using CSS grid?, part of CSS Grid First Look.
- [Voiceover] Now that you know what CSS Grid is,…the next question is, "When can I start using it?"…The short answer is, "Not yet but soonish."…Here's the long answer.…As of this recording,…the CSS Grid layout module is a working draft…at the CR, or candidate recommendation, stage…in the W3C process.…For it to move to the next stage, proposed recommendation,…there must be at least two independent interoperable…implementations of each feature in the proposal.…That means two different browsers need to implement…the proposed features in the same way.…
We're not quite there yet.…CSS Grid was originally proposed by Microsoft…in April 2011 and has been available…in Internet Explorers 10 and 11 and in the framework…for Windows 8 and Windows 10 since then.…Currently, Microsoft uses the old implementation…in their browsers,…while the Blink and WebKit rendering engines…are rolling out CSS Grid's new level one specification…as experimental features in certain browsers.…In this course, I'll be using the level one specification…
Join Morten Rand-Hendriksen in this course for a first look at this emerging CSS module. He covers setting up CSS grids, positioning content, and working with named lines and template areas. The final videos in the course introduce practical uses for CSS grids, including online magazines and three-column layouts.
- What is CSS Grid?
- Using the CSS Grid playground
- Setting up a CSS grid
- Positioning content in a CSS grid
- Using template areas in a CSS grid
- Creating a responsive grid layout