Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video What is CSS?, part of Learning CSS.
- If you're brand new to web design,…it's often easy to get overwhelmed…at all the different technologies…and terminology used in web development.…Try to understand what you need to learn first…or even making sense of it all can be frustrating.…With that in mind, I want to take a moment to…define exactly what CSS is…and where it fits in a larger scheme of web design.…CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, is a style sheet language…developed to control the presentation…of markup language documents like HTML.…You can think of HTML as controlling…the structure of the web,…while CSS controls the presentation of it.…
You know, the best way that I can think of…to display that visually…is to think of HTML as the structure of a new building.…You can see the structure as it's being built,…but you don't really know…what the building is gonna look like.…CSS, on the other hand, serves as the skin of the building…and determines what the outside…of the building is going to look like.…By separating structure and presentation in this way,…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 33s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.