Get an overview of and goals for building a CSS architecture.
- [Narrator] It doesn't take much to get started with CSS.…Select an element and apply a style to it.…Simple, right?…Well, maybe in the beginning.…But as you add more CSS, things can quickly get out of hand.…A CSS architecture is more than just writing CSS.…It's about creating a solid foundation to build upon.…Even for smaller projects,…it's good to start with a high level plan.…You never know when a small project…may turn into a large project.…Planning a CSS architecture tends to focus on…reducing inheritance and specificity issues,…using fewer styling rules for more efficient CSS,…and reusability, and making it maintainable…over the long term, and to be able to scale it over time.…
A well documented code base will also make it easier…for new and existing team members to work with it.…And defining rules around code styles,…organization, and naming conventions…are also an important part of a good CSS architecture.…I'll be discussing these topics in more detail…throughout the rest of this course.…
- The pros and cons of design systems
- Open-source frameworks
- Planning a design system
- UI patterns and component libraries
- Style guides
- Building the CSS architecture
- Formatting rules
- Using standardized classes, naming conventions, and templates
Skill Level Beginner
Responsive CSS Workflow with Sass, Bourbon, and Susywith Carrie Dils2h 59m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Design System
3. Building the CSS Architecture
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.