New to web design? Learn how to use CSS to style your websites. These tutorials cover the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS.
- Hi, I'm James Williamson, Adobe Certified Instructor and lynda.com Senior Author. I want to welcome you to CSS fundamentals. This course is designed to introduce you to the basic concepts, terminology, and tools for CSS. It's perfect for anyone who is new to CSS and is looking for a good starting point. Or, for anyone who needs a high level overview of Cascading Style Sheets. We'll start by exploring some of the basics of CSS. What it is, the basic syntax, and how it works within browsers.
Next, we'll explore CSS in more detail with an overview of how CSS has evolved over the years, the current state of CSS, and where to find CSS specifications and how to read them. After that, we'll focus on the terminology and common concepts found in Cascading Style Sheets. This will give you a solid foundation as you explore the subject further. Finally, I'll introduce you to some of the online tools and resources that can help you become more productive with CSS. CSS is one of my favorite subjects and I'm really looking forward to showing you how important CSS is to web design and how easy it is to learn.
Let's dive in!
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids