Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Using nested styles for a menu, part of Responsive CSS Workflow with Sass, Bourbon, and Susy.
- So the page we're working on here has two menus.…We've got this header-nav,…and then down in the footer we've got our social-menu.…Now both of these are using the nav element,…which means we can target that to add some shared styles…for both of these menus,…but they both have their own individual classes…so that we can add custom styles per menu as well.…So let's go over our base partial here,…and you can see that I've removed everything from this file…and I'm starting with a clean slate.…
I'm also pasting in a block of CSS from my clipboard.…So what we've got here is just standard CSS.…There's nothing sassy, quote unquote, about this.…So I've got my unordered list style to none.…I've got my individual list item to display inline-block,…and then my individual link in the menu…just to have a little bit of padding around it.…But with nesting, what we can do is…get rid of these repetitive selectors,…so this nav, nav, nav.…
So I can grab this style and bring it up…and just nest it right here within nav,…and I'm going to get the exact same markup…
- Reviewing what Sass is and how it works
- Analyzing workflow options
- Setting up a folder structure
- Adding version control
- Working with package managers
- Setting up a workflow with Grunt
- Scaffolding HTML
- Modularizing a Sass with partials
- Creating a color palette with variables
- Using Font Awesome
- Creating a mobile-first layout
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Responsive Single-Page Design with Sasswith Ray Villalobos4h 55m Intermediate
CSS to Sass: Converting an Existing Sitewith John Riviello2h 31m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Package Managers
3. Setting Up a Workflow with Grunt.js
4. Scaffolding Your HTML
5. Sass Principles
6. Styling with Sass and Bourbon
7. Responsive Layout Grids with Susy
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.