Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Using media query breakpoints, part of Responsive CSS Workflow with Sass, Bourbon, and Susy.
- [Instructor] A mobile first approach to styling means…that styles are applied first to devices…with small view ports.…Advanced styles and other overrides for larger screens…are then added into the style sheet via media queries.…And this is an approach…that uses the min-width media query.…So Susy has built in media query handling…using this Susy Breakpoint mixin,…and that's what we're going to use in our sample project.…So this mixin takes three parameters.…Only one is actually required,…and that's the first one, query,…but query is going to define…at what screen size we want a breakpoint to be.…
Layout is going to be the SAS map that we're using,…and in this case, we're just using that default,…Susy, that we declared earlier,…and I'll show you that in a second.…And lastly, there's no-query,…which is just going to be a fallback.…So let's go over to our code editor,…and the first thing I want…to do here is open up my variables partial.…And let's go ahead and create some variables…for our breakpoints.…
Okay, so I've created three variables here,…
- Reviewing what Sass is and how it works
- Analyzing workflow options
- Setting up a folder structure
- Adding version control
- Working with package managers
- Setting up a workflow with Grunt
- Scaffolding HTML
- Modularizing a Sass with partials
- Creating a color palette with variables
- Using Font Awesome
- Creating a mobile-first layout
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Responsive Single-Page Design with Sasswith Ray Villalobos4h 55m Intermediate
CSS to Sass: Converting an Existing Sitewith John Riviello2h 28m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Package Managers
3. Setting Up a Workflow with Grunt.js
4. Scaffolding Your HTML
5. Sass Principles
6. Styling with Sass and Bourbon
7. Responsive Layout Grids with Susy
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.