Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video Using CSS frameworks & grids, part of Learning CSS.
- As you begin to develop websites, you'll find…that you often do the same things over and over again…when writing CSS.…At a minimum, you'll have to figure out how you want…to deal with browser inconsistencies, what type of…layout styles to use, and what kind of typographic…treatment you'll use for your site.…Over time, you find that you begin to develop…a consistent way of handling these issues…through your styles.…In many ways, it would be advantageous to have…a templating system in place to speed up the process…of generating those styles.…
That's where CSS frameworks come in.…CSS frameworks are pre-existing CSS libraries…that are designed to give you a starting point…for your site's CSS as well as to give you tools…to make page layout and typography faster to implement.…There are a lot of different CSS frameworks available…with a wide variety of features, but as a general rule,…here's how they work.…Most frameworks come with a style sheet that contains…a base level set of styles.…These will typically contain a CSS reset…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 33s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.