An image containing multiple frames or cells of an animation is often referred to as a sprite sheet. Sprite sheets are animated by showing each cell one after another like a flip book. Rachel talks about how the steps() timing function can be used to create a sprite animation with CSS.
- Let's do something neat with that block.…Let's do something that we can't do with transitions alone.…But first, let's take a little segway…into the land of traditional animation.…This is a walk cycle I'm using with the permission…of a friend of mine, Steven Gordon.…He is the keyframe animator and character designer…for X Men Evolution, way back in the 90s,…if anyone remembers it, anybody remember X Men Revolution?…Oh, my people...…
When I was in the Philippines,…the entire class was like, "X Men Revolution!"…apparently, it was a pretty big deal in Manila.…But some people in America still remember it.…So this is my favorite character, it's Rogue.…She's the kind of goth teen of the X Kids…and this is the sort of walk cycle…that animation students spend their…first couple of semesters working on…to add to their portfolio and by the time…they're done with it, they realize…why people send so much animation work overseas,…because this is kind of the busy work of animation.…
In between all of these key frames, to create this cycle.…
Note: This course was created by Frontend Masters. It was originally released on 09/15/2016. We're pleased to host this training in our library.
- CSS transitions and animations
- Using animation in product design
- Creating a sprite animation with CSS
- Stateful transitions and supplemental animations
- Using developer tools to manipulate animations
- Jump cuts and in-betweening
- Static vs. dynamic animations
- Designing performant animations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: CSS Animated Rolloverswith Chris Converse29m 46s Beginner
Design the Web: SVG Rollovers with CSSwith Chris Converse23m 47s Beginner
1. CSS Transitions
2. CSS Animations
3. Animation in Design
4. Stateful Animations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.